Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Purpose of this guide
This guide is for students and researchers using manuscripts from the medieval and renaissance periods, including papyri and charters, held in the Bodleian Libraries and in Oxford college libraries. On this page you will find:
- details of online resources - catalogues, bibliography, and our digital image library
- details of printed catalogues, with links to digitized copies in most cases
- details of unpublished catalogues and card indexes. Several of these relate to collections outside Oxford.
- details of resources for papyri, charters, and seals
- information about the main named collections Bodleian and their donors
- information on medieval and renaissance collections in Oxford colleges
Special Collections Reading Rooms
Medieval Manuscripts in Oxford Libraries
Our online catalogue contains records for all the medieval manuscripts and papyri in the Bodleian, and a number of medieval manuscripts in college libraries.
Online bibliography for medieval manuscripts in the Bodleian Library and Oxford college libraries
Discover over a million images of rare books, manuscripts, and other treasures from the Bodleian Libraries and Oxford college libraries
Most of the records in the online catalogue are summary descriptions. Many manuscripts are described in more detail in our published catalogues, many of which have been digitized. The indexes to these catalogues are also often fuller than the online indexes. There may well be further information in unpublished resources held in the library itself.
For more information on the history of our collections, and advice on finding papryi, charters, and rolls, see the page on shelfmarks and collections. The Bodleian also holds the collections of some Oxford colleges.