What is reference management software?
Reference management software, also known as citation management software, allows you to:
- collect references
- store references in a web account or on your desktop
- organise references
- add notes to your references
- link to full text, web pages and documents
- cite your references and create bibliographies
Some also have additional features such as:
- sharing your references
- pdf highlighting
- social networking
Choosing your reference management software
For a comparison the pros and cons and of the features of some of the most common reference managers see the comparison table tab. For more detailed information about these reference managers - including sources of help and training - refer to their individual tabs.
You may also find it helpful to test different reference managers to see which one you prefer working with. Particular things you will want to consider consider when choosing your reference manager are:
- Accessibility - desktop, web-based or web browser extension
- Is the citation / reference style you need to use available?
- Is the software compatible with the word processor you use?
- If you want to share your references with colleagues, what do they use?
Importing References from SOLO
You can now import references from SOLO in to virtually any reference manager. SOLO offers dedicated export options for RefWorks and EndNote web, but can now also export an RIS formatted text file which is compatible with many different reference managers.
To use the RIS, EndNote Web or RefWorks export options -
1. Locate the full record in SOLO for the item you wish to export.
2. Click on the 'Details' tab.
3. At the top right of the 'Details' tab, click on the 'Send to' menu and then select the export option you want from the drop down list that appears.
This guide was originally created by Elisabeth Atkinson and is now maintained by Oliver Bridle, Ljilja Ristic and Rowan MacGregor.
For help with reference management contact:
email@example.com (social sciences)
firstname.lastname@example.org (engineering and computer science)