Skip to main content

The Sainsbury Library: Key Business Resources: Copyright for Teaching Purposes

Subjects: Business, Management

Frequently asked questions

The Bodleian Libraries have created a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) with sections that are applicable to all University members, University staff, students and special materials. The FAQs can be accessed here.

Copyright for Teaching

The University pays for a range of licences which allow for specific use of copyright materials for teaching purposes such as photocopying and scanning. Information about the use of copyright materials within reading lists is further down the webpage here. 


ERA Licence


The Educational Recording Agency Licence allows off-air recordings of terrestrial, satellite and cable television and radio broadcasts to be made for teaching purposes. The recordings must be clearly labeled with the date, title and broadcaster and include the wording ‘This recording is to be used only for educational and non-commercial purposes under the terms of the ERA Licence’.


Open University Licensed Off-Air Recording Scheme


This licence allows off air recordings of Open University programmes. It includes a pay-per-item-per-year provision, and Academic Services and University Collections should be notified of any copies made (email


UK Official Publications

Crown Copyright legislation, unpublished public records, government press notices, and National Curriculum material for England and for Wales, may be copied freely.

Oxford University has a Click Use core licence with HMSO. This allows not just photocopying but also scanning, re-publication (e.g. on a web site),or placing multiple copies in a library, of core government material, e.g. information that is central to the process of government and is subject to Crown copyright protection. This is above and beyond the Crown Copyright waiver mentioned above, but excludes the 'value-added' material which is sold on a commercial basis.


Newspaper Licensing Agency


This licence allows multiple copies to be made of articles from the major national newspapers for teaching purposes. The articles must contain the statement 'With permission, copied from [Title of newspaper] dated [Date]'.


Copyright Licensing Agency Licence


The University holds a Higher Education License from the Copyright Licensing Agency. This permits a designated member of staff to make multiple photocopies copies for inclusion in course packs within the following limits:


·         one whole chapter from a book

·         one whole article from a journal issue

·         a short story or poem (not exceeding 10 pages in length) from an anthology

·         one whole paper from a set of conference proceedings

·         one whole report of a single case from a volume of judicial proceedings or 5% of any of the above, whichever is the greater


The licence also provides for scanning when materials are only available in printed format so that they can be made digitally available on an intranet or VLE. This also must be carried out and recorded by a designated member of staff and details of who to contact can be obtained from the Sainsbury Library by emailing:

Scanning and copying of printed materials for inclusion in course packs must be from material that is owned by the University. Other materials must be obtained through the Sainsbury Library from the British Library Document Supply Centre as a ‘copyright fee paid’ copy.


What exclusions are there?


Most UK publishers are included in the license as well as publishers from 30 international territories. However, there are certain exclusions to what can be photocopied or scanned and these are listed on the CLA website at:

Permission must be obtained from the copyright holder before photocopying or scanning those works that are excluded from the licence.


Full details of the Higher Education Licence are at the CLA website:

Linking to resources on reading lists

It is important than any materials that you link to on the SBS intranet are University owned and copyright cleared unless you are linking to an item for which you are the copyright holder.

Journal or newspaper articles electronically available through library databases

If you want to include an item that is electronically available through one of the library databases you should usually be able to link direct to the item within the database.  However, you must never download that item first and place it on one of the university network drives for uploading to the intranet as this equates to creating your own archive of materials which is not allowed by most database licences.  If you wish to download an item from one of the library databases for this purpose rather than link to it in the database please contact the library as additional copyright permissions may be required.

The same rules apply if you want to download the item to a portable storage device for distribution to course participants whether this be a CD-Rom or USB stick for example. So, again you can upload a document with links into articles in a database but must not download the item to the portable storage device without checking with the library first.

Items that aren’t available electronically through the library databases

Where the printed item is available through the Bodleian it can be scanned by a designated person according to the limits set out above and uploaded to the intranet for the duration of a course.

If the item isn’t available through the Bodleian network it may be possible to order a copyright cleared digital copy of an item from the British Library that can then be uploaded to the intranet.

External websites

If linking to external web sites please ensure that the link opens in a new browser window and the source of the material is clear. If you have downloaded an item from an external website it is essential that you check with the copyright holder first before uploading it on the intranet.

Case Studies

Case studies are copyright cleared for access by individual students on specific courses only. They must not be linked to from parts of the intranet other than for the course and students originally intended.